St. Catherine's Academy
Welcome to our website. We are a K-12 school located on the Southern Avalon. We hope that you will use the links and other resources provided here. If you have any questions, please contact us at (709) 521-2090 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal: Ms. Heather Hanlon
Assistant Principal: Ms. Laureen Harnum
Guidance: Mr. Robert Myers
Administrative Assistant: Ms. Mildred Fitzgerald
***Important Notice*** Please note that our school playground is closed for your safety.
The following is a link to a video message from the District's Board of Trustees for the members of the Class of 2020:
Students in Grades 7-12, have a look at the attached poster for contact information for a Youth Outreach Worker for our area:
Students: We miss you so much! Have a look at this video to see a new message from your teachers. Stay Safe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AamX4xZ3bSY
Please view the attached memo concerning Social and Emotional Learning Sessions available to students:
Message from Eastern Health:
DoorWays counselling service continues to be available to individuals via telephone and telehealth counselling session options during the COVID-19 pandemic throughout rural Avalon. To pre-book a counselling session for your area please call (709)945-6513
DoorWays is a one session at a time counselling service provided by trained Mental Health and Addictions staff. The following days are dedicated to DoorWays services in Rural Avalon:
Mondays – Whitbourne
Every second Tuesday – Placentia
Wednesdays – Harbour Grace
Thursdays – Bay Roberts and Holyrood
Every Second Friday – St. Mary’s
Additional supports are also available at: www.bridgethegapp.ca
Memo re: Launch of NL Guidance Services, April 6, 2020
Memo from Mr. Anthony Stack CEO/Director of Education April 2, 2020 drive.google.com/file/d/1_BKR6mj2ul5CrOOfSBm_GQeLLoHcPvvD/view?usp=sharing
Check out the District's resource to assist and guide families with continued learning opportunities at: http://learningathome.nlesd.ca
Memo from Mr. Anthony Stack, CEO/Director of Education
Message for students and parents from CDLI
Please note: CDLI resources are available to all students - you do not have to be taking CDLI courses to avail of this service.
CDLI has resources available for high school (and some Intermediate) courses students are able to use as they continue to work through their courses from home etc.
A CDLI account is required to access most of the resources, but the process of signing up for an account is fairly straightforward. Instructions on how to sign up for an account and access the resources is attached.
- Student Tutoring : CDLI tutoring services will continue. Students are able to avail of these services as per the tutoring schedule on our tutoring website, www.cdli.ca/tutoring Caveat: Tutoring may be interrupted this week as all of our tutors are MUN students and given the university is closing, they will need to move out and back home. We are hoping regular tutoring hours will resume next week (March 23 on).
- Student Resources: CDLI has the following resources available for students. Where possible, please ensure parents are aware of these.
- Course Review – Students will require a CDLI account to access these resources. A tutorial is attached that you can send to your students/parents on how to access the resources.
- Learning Resources – We have resources for many course areas that students can use to help keep pace with their current courses – both face to face and online. Check them out on our website. CDLI account required to get access to all resources.
- YouTube Video Videos – We have several video resources on YouTube. Search for CDLI on to find them. TIP: These work great on mobile devices
Note: These resources are available at any time to any student or parent. It is not intended to replace any instruction or information a classroom teacher would provide. They are supplied as is and meant only to supplement any information schools are already using/deploying etc.
The following link contains information for students and parents on how to create accounts and view course materials:
A note from the Guidance Office:
Mr. Myers has posted resources (links) under the 'Health Resources' page on our guidance website. There is much information for students and parents, and will clarify many of the questions people have about the Corona Virus.
March 31st: Graduation Card Game** This event has been postponed. All tickets will be honored once we reschedule.
Visitors to our school are advised that our school has video surveillance.
We have individuals in our school with severe allergies to peanuts, tree nuts (including coconut), orange peel, kiwi and fish. We remind all parents/guardians not to send items to school that may contain those ingredients.
Students of the Month
We update this section each month to celebrate the students who the teaching staff feel are worthy of recognition among their peers. The recognition could be awarded for a special accomplishment, academic success or any circumstance worthy of celebration.
The students of the month for February 2020 are:
- K-6: Maria Gregory
- 7-12: Jordan O'Connell